Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Scrap Quilt Challenge 2019 ~ January Reveal

 
Here it is...the big reveal! My first of 12 scrap quilts is finished and ready for quilting. It has been so much fun doing this quilt. I started by going through my scrap bin to find strips that were at least half the width of fabric. About 20 inches or so. Then I sewed strip sets of about 5 or 6 different fabrics.
Next, I pressed the seams in one direct then sub cut into 2" side segments. I then joined segments from other strip sets for variety and to get the length I needed.

There are 2 blocks in this quilt. One block starts with a square of background fabric followed by a round of scrap strips then background again ending with scrap strips.

The other block starts with a square made by joining strips sets and trimming to size for the center square. Then I added background strips followed by scrap strips and again background strips.

By using 2 different blocks, when they are joined in rows, I don't have the same fabric next to each block. I like the look I got with this quilt. Setting the blocks on point makes it more interesting than a straight setting.

The setting triangles and corner triangles were added. I trimmed the edge evenly all around the quilt then added the final row of scrap strips. At first I thought I would have to use another fabric for binding since I used almost all the 3 yards of background fabric I had left. But I did find a yard of the grey background for the binding.

I hope you like it and that I have motivated you to be challenged to use your scraps.

1 comment:

  1. YES, you havehave, Gina! Just darned work gets in the way! Love how your first 2019 scrap quilt turned out!!!!!

    ReplyDelete